The Salters' Halls


The Church of All Hallows in Bread Street served as the place of worship and central meeting place, where all the Salters gathered for business and entertainment. In 1454 the Fraternity was bequeathed a plot of land by Sheriff and Alderman Thomas Beamond, on which was constructed a building named 'Saltershalle'.

The Hall was used as the charitable headquarters, centre of administration, centre of supervision of apprentices and an estate office. In 1533 a fire broke out in Saltershalle but was successfully extinguished. The Hall was rebuilt after a second fire destroyed it in 1539 and then rebuilt again following another fire in 1598.

New Hall at London Stone

The Hall on the original site was eventually deemed too small to house the increasing number of Company members and in 1641 a new Hall was purchased at London Stone in the Parish of St. Swithin. During the Great Fire of 1666, it was burnt to the ground but rebuilt in 1668.

Bombing of the Hall in the Second World War

It was decided in 1810 that the Hall at St. Swithins that had stood for 142 years was no longer suitable for the Company requirements and a new Hall was designed. The Foundation stone of the sixth building was laid down on the same site and the new Hall was completed in 1827. On 10th and 11th of May 1941, Salters' Hall was bombed by German aircraft and most of the Hall destroyed once again.

The Current Hall

Following the destruction of the sixth building, The Salters' Company was without a Hall for 35 years until 1976 when the current Hall, based on an original concept by Sir Basil Spence, was opened by HRH the Duke of Kent. In the intervening period, the Company was based at 36 Portland Place in the West End, where it remained until the completion of the new Hall. Livery dinners had to be conducted in other Companies' Halls, of which the Ironmongers was the most frequently used. The current Hall is one of the only Livery Halls in the City to have been built in a truly contemporary style and has provided The Salters' Company with a magnificent ash panelled Banqueting Hall, Committee and Court Rooms and office accommodation.